This article provides information for PhD GRE Test for upcoming PhD candidates.
PhD GRE Test – Background overview
PhD GRE Test is one of the most popular and widely accepted graduate admissions tests available, especially in the United States and other English speaking countries. Despite its popularity it is not the required test for the United Kingdom, so students seeking admission into a UK university are advised to find which test their university accepts. The GRE is administered by the Education Testing Services, this company is familiar with many students because they also own the TOEFL tests for English language proficiency.
PhD GRE Test How the Test Works?
The GRE is a more flexible test than the GMAT. The GRE allows editing, tagging, and preview features are built into the computer format for the test. This allows the student to go back through the section and answer questions that they have skipped or that they wish to change. The GRE has three main courses.
- Analytical Writing: This is always the first section of the GRE. Students are required to write two essays based on separate topics. These essays are written one every thirty minutes and are scored with the numbers 0-6. These essays are intended to gain an understanding of the student’s critical thinking skills and writing skills.
- Verbal Reasoning: This section helps to determine the students’ ability to comprehend information and read and analyze it. Students are allowed 30 minutes to answer 20 questions. The test scores for this section are 130-170. These questions cover text completion, sentence equivalency, and critical reading skills.
- Quantitative Section: This section tests student’s problem solving skills and how they interpret quantitative information. This section requires a firm grasp of geometry, arithmetic, algebra, and data analysis. This section allows 35 minutes to students to answer 20 questions. This section is not multiple choice. The scores range from 130-170.
The GRE lasts for a duration of 3 hours and 45 minutes with mandatory rest breaks for students.
PhD GRE Test – Subject
There are certain cases where tests are available for students that measure their knowledge in a specific subject. These tests are for students that have studied these subjects at an undergraduate level. These subject specified GRE tests are accepted and some universities and colleges requires specified GRE tests over the more general ones. The following subjects offer subject specified GRE tests:
- Cell and Molecular Biology
PhD GRE Test – Scores
The PhD GRE Test scores range widely depending on the student. Each university has their own standard for the GRE. Many schools have a medium range such as:
- 3-5.5 Writing
- 154-163 Verbal Comprehension
- 157-167 Quantitative Reasoning
These scores are the medium range. Students that receive higher or lower scores might still be eligible based on their schools guidelines. Different parts of the test are taken into consideration depending on the PhD program that the student is interested in applying for. Humanities courses would demand better verbal comprehension under PhD GRE TEST, while mathematics degrees would demand higher quantitative reasoning skills.